Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Bubbles, Play Dough & Pancakes...Out of a job?


This post is for busy moms and dads that want to make every minute matter. So many days I have felt like I was just going through the motions...and the day was going by, consumed by things that didn't matter (can you guess where that lie came from?).

I developed a little list that I try to accomplish everyday with my youngest princess (have goals for myself & Skylar too...I'll share later) I think this list would be very appropriate for most 2-5 year olds during the summer months and actually as I think about this- it is exactly what I did with Skylar as she continued into her 5-10yr stretch. If you are homeschooling- you could add a few things during your school time during the year. This keeps me in check- am I getting the big rocks in first? At the end of the day- I know that Kingdom seeds are being planted.

Everyday Fun:

• His Word (this might be Scripture memory, an activity or a Bible story)

• Art Activity (craft, coloring, painting, etc..)

• Books (old favorites and some new, soon to be favorites)

• Cooking (this can be helping me prepare one of the daily meals, making a snack or a special recipe)

• Helping (aka chores)

• Movement(we don't have a yard- most folks don't need to plan for this!)

Science, math and everything else in between gets covered over and over if I stick to these! Many times they overlap...a Scripture lesson might also be an art activity...And... Skylar, my teenager, joins in for most of these in between Algebra and Facebook!

As this goes to press... Selah and I made pancakes together this am. As she was stirring the dry ingredients together they "whoofed" all over the counter. Her little eyes looked up up and said..."Oh no- am I out of a job??????"
Oh my... another lesson, "No honey there is something called grace and you most definitely are not out of a job!"

We pushed it all back in the bowl(five second rule...yall know my counter was clean!) and had a great lesson about unintentional accidents verses doing something "on the purpose", aka sin on a mission!

Enjoy your kids today. Don't believe the enemies lies that the time we spend with our kids is insignificant. Ask Him to weave in Kingdom seeds in everything you do...from bubbles to pancakes!

The fashion diva in me just has to share that yes, Princess Selah picked out her outfit and although you can't see the bottom of this ruffle mania it does, in fact, spin.

Recipes:
I am convinced if you have bubbles and play dough kids can play for hours! Wanted to share a few recipes that we have really enjoyed over the years. The Bubble recipe is on the right hand side of blog under Bubble Fun.

Play Dough
1 c flour
1/4 c salt
2 T cream of tartar
1 c water
food coloring
1 T oil

Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients & heat over med (med low if you have flames), stirring the entire time.

It will look like a real mess but will quickly form a ball . Turn it out onto a floured surface- or I use wax paper(easy clean up). Store in a plastic container or bag. Lasts until green fuzzy mold starts growing...just kidding, toss after about a week.

The word "formed" appears 33x in the King James Bible. There are soooo many lessons you can incorporate with play dough! One of my personal favorites...

Isaiah 44:24 Thus saith the Lord, thy redeemer,and He that formed thee from the womb, I am the Lord that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone, that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself.

Good Start Pancakes (click to follow link to my other blog)


Praising Him for His Majesty inside YOU!
And picking playdough creations out of my computer keyboard...
Love-jananne